Monday, May 4, 2009

The Stranger

THEME CARD


Themes:
1) Extreme alienation from society results in the ability to reflect on one's self, yet also receives reproving views from society.
2) What ties a man to the earth it not his consciousness of the physical, but the emotion that the physical creates within him.

Quotes:
~"They were staring at us in scilence...as if they were nothing but stones or dead trees."
~"When I entered the prison, they took away my belt,my shoelaces,my ties, and everything I had in my pockets..."
~"Once again I could see the red sand and feel the burning sun on my forehead..."
~"That's all for today Monseiur Antichrist"
~"Maman died today. Or yesterday maybe, I don't know."

Vehicles:
*Tone
*Imagery
*Attitude
*Diction

Conflicts:
*man vs. society
*apathy vs. emotion
*participating vs. spectating

Subjects:
*Judgement
*Alienation
*Consciousness

Characters:
The Arab
Perez
The Chaplin
Meursault
Masson
The Prosecutor
Marie
Salamano
The Employer
Raymond
Maman
The Magistrate
Celeste


Plot:
Shortly after the death of his mother, Meursault becomes involved in the murder of a man, who is a stranger to him. The man is a "stalker" of Meursault's aquaintance, Raymond. The murder takes place on a beach trip. He is eventually condemned to death after an absurdtrial which focused for on his reaction Maman's death instead.

Title:
The Stranger reflects the journey of finding ones's self. Meursault seems to be a stranger to himself and the world because he never has an opinion or emotional reaction. Also, the man whom he kills is a complete stranger to him and the action ultimately leads to his own death.